September 30, 2009

Becoming Carrie Bradshaw

Sir Sunderland has been out of town for a few nights this week. You know what that means! Hours upon hours of Sex and the City. I forgot how much I enjoy this show and how embarrassed I am to admit that it had a large impact on a lot of my college choices.

As an undecided sophomore it was time to pick a major. Education? No. Science? No. Journalism? I did take the introductory course and loved the teacher. Immature and impressionable, I thought about how wonderful life would be as Carrie Bradshaw, a columnist for a paper.

I dove into Journalism wholeheartedly.

As I learned about AP style or how writing for newspapers being a completely different animal than the typical essay and I grew weary. It was when and actual reporting was introduced that I became acutely aware that this was never going to be my forte. I opted for Advertising from the array of sequences within the Journalism school.

This did not deter me from my quest to become Carrie Bradshaw. I applied for the Sex Columnist position for the school newspaper. I'll never forget getting the phone call from the Editor in Chief. Success! I was the Nevada Sagebrush's Sex Columnist.

I was to replace the former sex columnist who wrote brashly about the topic. I was determined to bring some class back to the sex column. At the time I thought I wrote gracefully about topics such as condom use, sexy professors, tips on how not to walk in on your roommate. My forever supportive family read them weekly. Friends and even a professor commented on my columns. I even had a column picked up and printed in a Colorado school newspaper.

It lasted a semester. The glitz and glam wore off and I realized writing the sex column for the University of Nevada's Sagebrush college newspaper did in fact not make me a woman living in New York City spending all of my time with friends. Looking back on my columns I am shocked at how I could write such things to be read by anyone, let alone a professor or my parents.

Yes, I am slightly ashamed of how influenced I was by a character from a television series. Isn't this something you're supposed to learn as a child, instead of college? Nevermind that, I will leave you with one of my columns:

The Many Reasons Why You Should Be Using Condoms

No comments: