October 16, 2009

A Job Interview


In a quest for a Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 job I got me some adorable MaryJanes, tossed on my favorite black dress and drove up to Tahoe for an interview. After practicing questions with Sir Sunderland I felt prepared.

I got there early, but couldn't find "Suite 208." 206, 207, but no 208. Alas, I wound up asking a gentleman in the back of an empty office with a paper 206 taped to the door where 208 was. What?! I'm here for an interview? Come on in, this is it. I was lead to a room with a strange young man who stared at me and no chairs. A wobbly ancient chair was brought in and dumped off halfway across the office. I asked if they wanted me to sit there, which they did.

10 minutes later I answered every one of their questions perfectly. They, however did not answer mine the way I wanted. When did this "ad agency" come to Tahoe? Oh, a few months ago? They live with a few other guys right down the street. The training? Sitting in an office shadowing the creepy man who stared, then cold calling people. Their clients? Not a single identifiable one.

I left feeling empowered, as this is the first interview I actually nailed in years. I then got to my car and it sank in. No way would I commute 120 miles a day to work for an ad agency consisting of a group of mid-twenties men living in Tahoe together. But hey, it boosted my self-esteem and I got to enjoy a scenic drive!

No comments: