February 11, 2011

I Need to Get Out More

Six Weeks of maternity leave. This was what I'd been looking forward to for months. It was like a get out of work free card that I couldn't wait to cash in. After I hit the point in my pregnancy when Gwyneth was officially a full term baby, I would lie in bed, stressed about work, wishing and hoping to go into labor just to get out of the hell that awaited me the next day.

Then Gwyneth came and three weeks in, I've come to realize that this whole maternity leave isn't a vacation. My days are filled with non-stop feedings, pumpings and trying to squeak in a nap. It's not glamorous and can drive a girl insane.

Yesterday my girlfriend came over. Our first visitor in a week. Due to our breastfeeding issues, it was entirely too stressful for me to have guests, so we closed ourselves off. I wasn't aware of how much I needed outside attention until I was talking to my girlfriend and every sentence out of mouth began with "at breastfeeding support group...." It's the only thing I've done in the past three weeks. Breastfeeding support group, breastfeeding consultations and sitting at home breastfeeding.  

I don't want to become that weird woman who is all passionate and slightly crazy about breastfeeding. I think it's great and all, but shoot. It's always kind of creeped me out, especially when you meet a woman feeding a 2 year old. Eeek. You know who I'm talking about.

Last night, as Sir Sunderland and I were talking and my sentence began with "at breastfeeding support...." Sir Sunderland ever so kindly mentioned that I should call my girlfriends, invite them over. If I didn't he would. So yesterday, I was lucky enough to have a friend who popped on over for a drink and some much needed company. It was nice to have a grown up conversation not centered around breastfeeding and now I can get back on the road of "non-creepy-breastfeeding-obsessed Motherhood."

No comments: