September 17, 2011

Off at the Next Cupcake Stop

This weekend marks our September Family Get Together. Myrole aside from hostess? Cupcakes.

Once upon a time I loved baking cupcakes. Every Monday Itried a new recipe and dove in wholeheartedly. The mess may have lingered in mykitchen for a day or two, driving Jake nuts, but for the most part I was happyto try things out and share them with the masses. But you know what? Most recipes were gross. I’ve found only one chocolate cake recipe I like and afrosting recipe that works.

Nowadays the idea of whipping up a batch of cupcakes brings the reality of dishesthat don’t fit in the dishwasher, trips to the store to buy ingredients and ahot kitchen.

And then thefrosting. THE FROSTING. I hate hate hate cleaning up the mess after frostingcupcakes. A mixer bowl covered in slimy goo, a tip in the bottom of a bag thatyou have to stick your finger in to clean. This is the mess that sits in the kitchen for days until Jake breaks down and cleans it for me. 

{Oh, by the way I discovered a great tip cleaning tip. Anipple brush. This will get it’s own post in due time.}

So I did the unthinkable. I pawned off the cupcakes to my brother in law's girlfriend.

When I announced this toJake his response was a deep look of concern followed by, “Are you alright?”

To which I responded with a watered down version of the aboverant.

I’ve jumped off the cupcake train and I know it’ll always bethere waiting for me. I will remember it with fondness and maybe someday I will break out the cupcake tins and wow the Mommies of baby G's friends. But for now, I'm perfectly fine with not having to deal with them. 

No comments: