February 4, 2010

Book Club

     Maya Angelou, the world-famous poet and author stole my heart as I heard her speak on the Today Show as a woman chosen for a feature in Glamour magazine. Every word out of her mouth was eloquent and graceful, as if she was reading from the bible, not speaking from her mind. I knew from that moment on I needed to find out what she was all about.
     Googling her name brings up a myriad of quotes, poems, photos, etc. On the Today show she recited a few lines from her Phenomenal Woman poem and I knew I had to read it. With great luck I found it and was hooked. Next thing I know I’m sitting at the dinner table with Sir Sunderland explaining to him how enraptured I was with this woman and how I must discover more.  
     For Christmas I received her complete collection of poems and two of her autobiographies.
     I am currently reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and invite you to follow along in a 2-part discussion of the autobiography of Maya Angelou. The discussion will be part  from the publisher's questions as well as my own. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and discuss the amazing woman that is Maya Angelou.
*Images from mayaangelou.com

No comments: