February 14, 2010

Dinner Menu

 
Last Week's New Menu Item
Cornish Game Hens
I fondly remember having cornish game hens as a child and loved how we got our own special little bird. As a grown up, the excitement has worn off when having to look at a bird in full form. I called my mom and asked what I needed to do and she said just follow the package directions. They were as follows:
-Cover bird in butter. Bake in oven and baste in butter.-
I opted for olive oil instead and piled on some garlic salt, onion powder, and rosemary.  Even that was too greasy. I used a roasting pan and put fingerling potatoes and carrots along the bottom with and tossed in some asparagus for good measure.
Note- asparagus doesn't roast well and you need to add water or some liquid to the veggies on the bottom of the pan, otherwise they have nothing to cook in.
     It was pretty carnivorous as we ripped apart the little bird's legs and wings apart and chowed down on its overly greasy meat. Needless to say, this will not be gracing our menu ever again, but at least brought back some fond childhood memories!

No comments: