February 9, 2010

I Sewed a Purse!


     Say hello to my very first purse! I totally sewed this(minus a few errors and having to rip the seams not once, not twice but three separate times)! I can’t tell you how proud of myself I am and how I’ve come to the realization that these things take practice (and knowledge).
     I followed the pattern for the buttercup bag from Made By Rae. It was totally free and I couldn’t have picked a better pattern as my first. It taught me how simple it is to make a pleat and how to use a pattern. I’m not going to lie, I thought that to get the pattern onto the fabric required tracing with a fabric pencil. As you can imagine, it was a nightmare. Somewhere, somehow on the internet I was finally graced with the enlightening information that you pin the pattern to the fabric and then cut it! 
As a person who depends on instructions for anything and everything, I have come to the conclusion that the directions only get you so far. Just because you have pictures and instructions doesn’t mean you don’t need to use common sense and problem solving skills.
I managed to sew things together the wrong way numerous times, to look back at the instructions and read “sides only.”  If I had put some thought into it before sewing it together I would’ve noticed that when it is turned right side out it would be backwards.
     Another thing that kept me from sewing was cost. Well, my friends, this adorable purse used a total of a half-yard of fabric and with the magnetic snaps the grand total was only $7.96!
     This brings me to my next revelation in the world of sewing: bring your pattern with you to buy fabric! You see, this pattern calls for a little bit more than a fat quarter. I bought extra, for my novice self and didn’t use it all up but now have enough to make a matching keychain or shoot, a whole other purse.
      Next up in my sewing ventures are some pajama pants, with a pattern. Wish me luck!

The Girl Creative

No comments: