December 12, 2011

Nap Time Woes

Gwen has a very strict nap schedule. Her internal clock is amazingly synched to waking up at 6:30 am, napping at 10 am, 3pm and going to bed at 8pm. This has affected our daily lives to the point where everything revolves around these naps. I can tell it annoys some people which I don't blame them because it's annoying to me to have to plan this way.

But I've seen what happens when naps are skipped. Sometimes it's fine, the baby handles it well. But then there comes the inevitable aftermath that only I get to be a part of. You know what I'm talking about. Speeding home to get the child into her crib for a nap with her bellowing her frustrations from the back seat. Cranky cranky and more cranky. Trust me, it's not pretty and after it's happened once to you, you will do anything in your power to never, ever let that happen again.

Like this weekend, when we went to the wreath party. A ridiculously intricate plan was devised to maximize the time I got to spend with my friends. This was instead of waiting until after her nap and getting there late and leaving early.  It took some creativity, patience and thank god I have understanding friends. But it worked. Baby and Momma were happy.

I guess the important thing to remember is that this is only a phase, just like her sleeping for only 2 hours at a time was.  We will all eventually learn to be a little more flexible, she will outgrow needing to sleep 20 hours a day and we might just get to enjoy a social life again.

Until then,  off we go living our lives in two hour windows of opportunity.

No comments: