August 15, 2012

S'more Cupcakes That Taste Nothing Like a S'more

20120814-200140.jpg

Over the weekend I made cupcakes.

I haven't made cupcakes in a long time and I've only made them out of necessity, when I needed them as gifts or for a special occasion. Nothing like the days when I used to try a new recipe weekly just to try them out.

This weekend I wanted to not only make cupcakes but try a new recipe. It was kind of a big deal to me, because it's always a little concerning when a previous passion just disappears. As if it's a hint that I'm running towards depression and we all better be on high alert.

So I made s'mores cupcakes. I got all experimental and made a graham cracker crust and found a recipe for a marshmallow buttercream frosting that involved marshmallow cream because I think marshmallow cream is the cat's meow.

We ate them and suddenly I remembered why I stopped experimenting and now only make two types of cupcakes and why I sometimes hate baking them. 1 out of 10 experimental recipes is a success, meaning 9 out of 10 tries are usually gross and not at all what I expect.

Enter the s'mores cupcake. While they were edible, they tasted nothing like a s'more and the frosting tasted nothing like a marshmallow. It was more of an over vanilla-y buttercream which would be expected from a stick of butter, marshmallow cream and, you guessed it, vanilla.

So off to work I went with my cupcakes, my first introduction of cupcakes to the new workplace. I would've much preferred for them to be good cupcakes for the first time, but what can you do when you've got 22 so-so cupcakes? Maybe if I don't tell anyone they are supposed to taste like a s'more they won't notice?

Everyone said they were good, even though I thought they were gross. And that's the end of this sad story involving s'more cupcakes that don't taste anything like a s'more. You're welcome folks.

If you're looking for some kickass cupcake recipes, you can find those here, because I used to be a cupcake baking machine. It's true. This was apparently in my hey-day when I didn't have a child to tend to.

And wouldn't you know it, I don't even have my favorite buttercream frosting recipe on this here blog. I guess we'll have to save that for another day friends, another day.

 

No comments: