July 31, 2013

Moms Are The Best, Aren't They?



For both of my babies my mom has come and stayed a week to help out. When we had Gwyneth my mom and dad helped around the house, giving us the ability to focus solely on that new little baby, which we so desperately needed to do.

Mom did the laundry, the dishes, made dinner for us, made sure our guests were taken care of and my dad fixed all sorts of things that needed fixing around the house (and made amazing breakfasts to boot).

With Norah my mom not only tended to our home, but also took care of Gwyneth in a fashion I like to think relatable to a week-long trip to Disneyland. When we came home from the hospital we were greeted with an excited little girl who had clearly been having the time of her life. 



Dinners this week have been full of the things we don't know how to cook, so therefore we don't eat. Brussel sprouts, ribs, pork tenderloin, baked then grilled sweet potatoes. Things have been taken care of without even having to ask, water cups always filled, babies taken from exhausted, weary arms at just the right moment, weepy hormonal tears discussed and wiped away, missed family members calling at just the right moments. 

And just when my heart is beyond grateful that my mom would take the time off work and care for us like this, Jake reminds me that I someday will do the same thing for my daughters. For Gwyneth who firmly believes her mommy's water is far better than her own, for Norah who prefers snuggles with her mommy over a pacifier. It's obvious now that they need their mom nowadays but its hard to imagine what motherhood looks like 20 years down the road. But then it's times like these when I realize how I truly do need my mom, because she makes everything better. Even if I am 28 years old, married with two children of my own, there's always a place and a need for her and that makes my new little mom heart sing to even think about. 


No comments: