September 30, 2013

Bonjour Fall

It's October 1st and while I may have already overdone it on the pumpkin spice Statbucks beverages, I am proud to say that I have not overdone it on the celebration of Fall front yet.

Last year I was pregnant, sick and working so Halloween was kind of an annoying speed bump that just slowed things down. Gwen was a monkey and our neighborhood sucked it up as far as trick-or-treating went (so many houses didn't participate). My girlfriend didn't even have our annual Halloween tea party because no one could make it. It was a sad sad realization. 

And then the one attempt at proper Fall celebrating wound up with Jake, myself and my sister-in-law passed out from taking Dramamine on our way home from apple hill after we all got car sick on the ride there. Don't even get me started on the gross pumpkin patch experience off of Mill St. 

 I mean, 2012 Fall was kind of a hot mess.

This year? The expectation is just to simply enjoy the season, no strings attached. 

I'm finally willing to throw in the towel on Apple Hill and admit, after the past five years of trying to make it something it's not, it will never be the childhood experience I grew up with in Southern  CA. 

We will not be cheap and will pay the entry fee to get into the good pumpkin patch. 

We will throw naptime to the wind and show up on time to pumpkin palooza on Victorian Square, because I am almost certain it's like the street carnival in You've Got Mail. 

We will show up to the Halloween tea party in costume. I will make something that involves patience and creativity to bring to the table.

And we will go to a different neighborhood to trick or treat, because ours just isn't into it.

Our weekends are full (but not too full) of fun things to do and while I'm bummed we didn't buy Norah the cute little pumpkin costume at Costco when we had the chance, I'm going to just take a chill pill and enjoy the prelude to the holiday season. 

Happy Fall Y'all! 

No comments: