January 2, 2012

Our Christmas

Ordinarily Christmas Eve and morning is spent at our respective parent's homes, but this year we wanted to celebrate at our house seeing as it our first Christmas as a family of three. My parents drove up from Las Vegas and my Uncle flew in from Northern California and we spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning here at our house.



The play castle was a gift to Gwen from my parents and we were instructed not to assemble until Christmas Eve. We opened the box at 9 pm. We didn't get it put together in the 20 minutes that the box boasted, but it was close.


 And check out the killer polka dot squishy mats my mom found. So relieved they're not the the primary colored numbers and alphabet. I was already a little concerned that our living room would resemble a daycare so this helped ease the pain a bit.



Needless to say, the slide was a hit. It took her a day or two to get the hang on climbing up the back but she still hasn't quite figured out that you can't just walk off onto the slide. I'm happy to report that there have been no serious injuries as of yet.


After Christmas morning at our house we all got ready and headed down to the in-laws where Gwyneth was showered with even more of the most thoughtful gifts ever. I may or may not have cried three separate times. And then in the middle of the day we looked up and discovered it must be 2011 seeing as everyone was using some technical device. This was the first holiday that we mixed both of our families and as expected, everything went just swimmingly (which I honestly don't see how it couldn't, but I'm sure there are some crazy stories about families not mixing well).


Gwyneth was way overwhelmed and only napped during the hour car ride down to the in-laws. Lucky for us she just rubbed her eyes a lot and was more quick to cry when scared, but all in all she kept her cool. Can't say I blame the girl, I wouldn't want to miss out on the Christmas fun either.



All in all a fabulous first Christmas as a family of three. I can't wait for the upcoming years when she's going to start getting the whole Christmas deal. This year she was just happy to play, play and play some more. She didn't care about unwrapping presents, traditions or the awesome prime rib dinner we had. But I sure can say I thoroughly enjoyed every last minute of it.


Now all the decorations are being put away and we get to focus on somebody's first birthday. I've made it a rule that no birthday projects can be started until all the Christmas decorations are put away. Yet they still aren't put away. Why isn't there a Santa who magically comes in the middle of the night and puts away all the decorations?

No comments: