February 14, 2013

I ♥ Heart Day

It seems like everyone has an opinion of Valentine's Day.

"It's a Hallmark holiday designed to make money"

"I don't need a special day to show the person I love, I do it everyday."

or you have the opposite side posting pictures of flowers and gifts and love notes to their loved one on Facebook. What? I didn't do that, kind of.....

Blah blah blah blah blah.


I can lean either way and this year I decided to embrace Valentine's Day. There weren't any grand plans or expectations, just talks about how I can't be all freaky about flowers. I get them so rarely since they're quite the luxury that I build up ridiculous expectations when it comes time for me to be the recipient of them. So this year, I knew I could've been getting them, but the minute I started instructing him on where he should and shouldn't buy them and got all anxious about the cost of carnations, I was told to stop. I was glad about that because I can really work myself into quite the tizzy only to get upset over a $40 blue orchid that was actually pretty awesome (I wanted Gerber daisies).

I also got to prove to myself that I can still manage to bake a batch of cupcakes and cut out some Valentine's I printed out last year and forgot about.  I forgot the vanilla in the frosting and when I gave Gwen sprinkles to decorate her cupcakes for her daycare friends she dumped half the container in the sink completely missing the cupcake. But we delivered and it felt great. Nothing's better than any excuse to share cupcakes I tell you, even if it is a commercial holiday that oozes wasteful spending.

Gwen was all cute in her dress with a heart. I was pleasantly surprised at how many professional women dressed in red today as I walked around with my heart necklace and red coat. I got to sniff flowers all day long at my desk and everyone in a 20 foot radius of me got a cupcake. It was a fun day.

However you chose to celebrate it, cynical or sappy, I hope you were able to enjoy it as much as we did.
You can read about our past Valentine's Days, which come to find out, I've always enjoyed, here {2012} here {2012}, here {2009}, A Valentine's Tea Party {2009}, a really crappy Valentine's Day {2009} they all seem to be from 2009. I don't know what was going on there, it is what it is. 

No comments: